Learn about our diverse, historic neighborhood tucked into the center of Milwaukee, Wisconsin with easy access to the downtown area and many other Milwaukee landmarks.
Spend a few minutes learning about the history of Cold Spring Park and what the boundaries of our neighborhood are. If you are a potential home owner or renter, we have information about the available properties. If you live in the neighborhood, check out the calendar and the newsletters.
Devoted to promoting the quality of life within Cold Spring Park, the Cold Spring Park Neighborhood Association (CSPNA) was established in 2008 to provide a structure and forum for neighbors to join together and work for change in the neighborhood.
Cold Spring Park has been around since the mid-1800s. It is named for a natural spring that was found in the northwest corner of the neighborhood (then bounded by 27th Street, 35th Street, West Juneau Avenue, and Vliet Street).
In 1852, Cold Spring Park was the site of the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society fair and exhibition.
During the Civil War, Cold Spring Park became Camp Washburn, housing the 2nd Calvary, 30th Infantry, and the 39th Regiment.
After the Civil War, Cold Spring Park once again became a race track. A race that was commemorated by Currier and Ives depicted an 1871 record breaking race by the mare Goldsmith Maid, with a time of 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
An 1888 race was reported in the New York Times!
Adjacent to Cold Spring Park was the Cold Spring House, a hotel which housed visitors and drivers for the races. It was notorious for its gambling, cockfights, courtesans and dances.
At the close of the 19th century, Milwaukee saw a population boom, prompting two new streets in Cold Spring Park; Highland Boulevard (1896) and McKinley Boulevard (1906).
Cold Spring Park initially drew German-American residents of the moderate to upper income scale. The upper end residing primarily on Highland and McKinley, while the middle to moderate income resided on Juneau and the numbered streets.
Highland Blvd, Juneau Ave, and McKinley Blvd are designated as historical streets by the city of Milwaukee.
NOTE: the page is being redone, please come back later.